Wednesday, December 8, 2021

Melbourne lockdown ends, no new local cases

Victoria has recorded no new local coronavirus cases as Melburnians ease out of a two-week lockdown on Friday.

There are now 75 active cases and 142 exposure sites across the state.

The state posted four new local coronavirus cases on Thursday, with the Department of Health investigating the source of acquisition. The cases — a man in his 80s, a woman in her 70s, a man in his 50s, and a man in his 20s — are from the same household in Reservoir, in Melbourne’s northern suburbs. Victorian deputy chief health officer Allen Cheng said the first positive case recorded on Wednesday night was a man in his 80s, who was tested on June 9 and got his result on Wednesday.

The other members of the household tested positive on Wednesday also.

“We had already tested several close contacts of these cases outside of the household, and they’ve all come back negative but obviously will remain in quarantine,” Prof Cheng said.

Testing commander Jeroen Weimar said: “I’m pleased to note that one of the individuals who returned the first positive test only turned symptomatic on June 7 and was tested the day after and returned that test result yesterday. “Their swiftness in acting has been so crucial for us to identify that group quickly and in that family unit.

There were earlier tests taken as well.” It comes after health authorities uncovered three more concerning sewage detections of Covid-19 overnight. In a statement late on Thursday, the health department said there had been three new positive detections of coronavirus viral fragments in wastewater samples taken in the Pascoe Vale, Scoresby, and Vermont areas.

Related Articles

LEAVE A REPLY

Please enter your comment!
Please enter your name here

Latest Articles